Sunday, January 8, 2012

I LOVE MY CHICKEN BODY

I love my chicken body! Bet I got your attention with that one. :)

I recently read this book written by a couple of women who embrace their perceived inequities so I though I would do the same.

I LOVE my chicken body but shhh... don't say it out too loud lest it becomes my definition. I have those kinds of physiques that resemble a chicken: small head, big on the back and skinny legs that make you wonder if they provide much support. It sometimes makes me wonder what kind of criteria my genes used when they were sorting themselves out to create form.

My small head, a bit tricky to work with especially because I can't exactly pull off all the hairstyles on the salon poster. I love short hair, but then again I get scared of the unseen corners that might be lurking under there so I dare not. And I think my father knows this too because when I told him I had been toying with the idea of cutting my hair he flat out told me that I would look like ET's mentally challenged sister (ok ok he didn't say THAT...exactly) he just said that I should not find my way back home if I got rid of my hair. Frankly, I think he was just apprehensive that I might not be a quite a big catch after and hence deplete his future dowry cow stock :)

Big on the back..true heritage of a Luhya woman. Can be a bit of a burden sometimes. True story, especially when you wear totally flat shoes that place weight on your heels you tend to feel like you've wrapped a small sack of flour around your bum area. It reminds me of the Baganda who are famous for their booty gyrating dances and traditional outfits called Gomes. They elaborately place towels and pieces of blankets to enhance the size of the posterior. So who am I to complain? :)

Finally my oh so skinny legs. Sometimes i envy those women with fat legs because they look like they have so much character (the legs not the person). But I got to thinking, my legs DO have their own character. Just like me, a bit awkward, a bit offish but fitting. That's me.

I'm embracing me, chicken body and all. Figure 8's are overrated. And who wants to look like you've been pinched in the middle anyway.

Love yourself
Love your inequities and your offish qualities
You'll live better for it
Guaranteed.

Much love,
Chickeny :)

3 comments:

  1. Love love love yourself!

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starting 2012 with a bang I see.Beautiful chickeny...i love this.I will probably do a post of my own on this.
    enyewe your legs....

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol nice one, had me in stitches. chickeny ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments here